Joy
The kids have had a ridiculously busy week at school. Collin went on a field trip on Monday (city bus to the science museum, courthouse, and fire station). I went with them. We were all very, very, very tired at the end of the day. It's so nice being a parent volunteer and not the teacher in charge of everything on tiring field trips. The kids got to see a "jazz assembly" (put on by Jazzistry - it was amazing - bring them to your school!). The twins celebrated the 100th day of school on Wednesday. It was mayhem. When did this 100th day craziness begin? If you don't know what I'm talking about make your way to a lower-elementary classroom around mid-February next year. Collin brought in a hundred rocks (from the gravel pit . . . ) and got a calculator from his teacher. He loves, loves, loves it. Cayla came home with a necklace of 100 beads, a bag full of 100 snacks, a book with 100 stamps - you get the picture. I helped with a few things and let me tell you, it takes A LONG time to count out 100 of anything. And, it's even more challenging when 43 kids around you are also trying to count to 100. And, it's especially challenging when, like Cayla, you haven't quite mastered counting past 13 yet:) I'll admit, some of those snack bags contained anywhere from 34 to 230 Goldfish crackers.
But all of this pales in comparison to the pure joy emanating from Cayla and Collin as they examined, read, and ate all of Cayla's valentine loot today after school. Her class had a Valentine's Day party today because they are going to a field trip tomorrow (to Kensington - crazy week, I tell you!). She came home with her decorated bag, full of cards and candy, from the kids in her class. Cayla is just about the most generous person I know and even more generous when she's happy. And, boy was she happy. She filled Collin and I up with candy as the twins read the names on all the cards. We didn't celebrate Valentine's Day at the last school I worked at and I had completely forgotten the excitement surrounding the day. It took me back 25 years to shoeboxes with a slit on top covered in red paper and hearts. I remember pouring out the contents of my mailbox and reading the cards over and over - keeping certain ones from kids I liked, all while eating the hard, chalky conversation hearts!!!!!





1 Comments:
Sounds great! They don't do V day at Dalya's school...but that's okay b/c I didn't have to worry about getting the valentines or the fact that she would have missed it being sick!
Are you guys still coming next week??
Post a Comment
<< Home