create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Thanks everyone for you kind words and support and help on Cayla's strengths. I meant to write earlier in the week, I really did, but Flannery sucked me into instant watch Netflix and got me completely addicted to Friday Night Lights. We're both suckers for cheesy sports dramas and this one really hit the spot this week. And, there is no end in sight. We're only about halfway through the first season of 22 episodes! But, anyway, back to Cayla. The meeting went really well and while Flannery walked home and wrote a quick blog entry about it, I sat in the school parking lot waiting for AAA as I had run out of gas. Yep. That kind of week. Cayla was supposed to finish off the week in her current classroom, but due to sick kids and a snow day (really a "cold day", it was -13 with a windchill of -29 on Friday) we spent the rest of the week drinking gatoraid, shoveling off the rink, and playing waaaaaaaaay too many games of Guess Who.

So, I have to tell you that we are really, really happy that Cayla will be moving to a self-contained classroom: it's K-2, headed by a special education teacher, with 2 parapros, mostly for kids with mild cognitive delays. Any questions:) I tell you we are really happy because I sense some concerns in the peanut gallery:

"Is that special ed?"
"You know that if you want her in a regular classroom the school has to provide an aide and keep her there."
"Is that good? I didn't know if it was good or not."
And, my Dad you who said, "OK. I'll have your Mom call you."

I guess, Flannery said it best when she wrote somewhere that we really happy because we really think it's the best place for her but we're really sad because, well, because that's the best place for her.

It all boils down to that stupid special education stigma. The class is perfect for her. It's at her level academically. There are lots of adults. The language will be at her level. She can move into a "regular classroom" at any time this class stops being perfect. More later. But first, I need to tell you about my favorite part of the meeting, so that I can go and watch my Friday Night Lights!

The teacher consultant evaluated Cayla's academic achievement - basically kindergarten math and reading. During one test, she was show a bag of fries with an "M" on them. The teacher consultant told us that although Cayla knew they were french fries, she couldn't tell her where one can buy fries or what else you can buy at a place that sells fries. Yah!!!! Score 1 for crunchy, granola parents who have read Fast Food Nation one too many times.

2 Comments:

At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh, those tests. cousin-j was penalized in a speech test last year for not knowing what a "video" was. (Ok, sad to say... he knows DVDs... and b/c of a family member, he knows fries... but argh, those tests.)

This is so good, yes? So so good. It's important she gets what she needs. I think we can sympathize, perhaps even empathize, but who knows what we know? Anyway, we're really just glad that there's a plan, and we love you all so much.

--the uncle, the aunt, and the cousin

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger The Lils said...

All that matters is that she will be where she needs to be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home