IEP update
So, we had a possibly record-setting, and at least noteworthy, IEP meeting today both in terms of length (4.25 hours) and attendance (15). It all went smoothly, we didn't feel like there were any real conflicts or problems, there was just a lot to go over. The final verdict is that Cayla is going to move into a self-contained K-2 classroom for kids with mild cognitive impairments. Cayla doesn't test as cognitively impaired, but she is borderline in terms of IQ/cognitive level and her language testing was very low, so she seems to be at a similar level to many kids in the class. Add to that her frustration/behavior issues, and we all felt like it was the best place for her. Erica and I have both observed the class and really like the teacher and the environment. Needless to say, it's been a really hard decision to make, but I think now we're feeling hopeful of what's to come, and at the least we're relieved to get her out of the current situation. She'll move to her new class next Tuesday. Erica and I are already bracing ourselves for repeating the explanation to her at least 73 times per day for the next 6 days, but we think she'll be OK with it once she learns that she gets to use a microphone every day at circle time!





5 Comments:
WoW! 4.25 hours! That is amazing! I am so glad that things worked out the way that you thought best. Take care, -T
I've been to a marathon IEP meeting like that. I'm glad everything worked out for the best. I'm sure Cayla will adjust fine.
glad I checked here-didn't want to rush home and call you right away but we've been thinking about you.
Glad the big, bad IEP is done and now on with the good stuff! I think Mr. I's room is right up Cayla's alley and she'll fall in love with it.
Julie
So glad to hear that the meeting went well and that you have a place for that amazing daughter of yours. We're thinking about you all...
xo
the aunt, the uncle, and the cousin
Call me! If you wouldn't mind sharing the psych report with me, I'd love to read about her cognitive scores. 4.25 hours!!! Geez-o-pete!!! I was thinking about you guys...Hopefully this will be a good fit for Cayla:)
~Jessica
Post a Comment
<< Home