create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes: Seizure Update - borrrrrrrring

Friday, January 25, 2008

Seizure Update - borrrrrrrring


There really is not much of an update, but that's the kind of update we like around here. However, let me digress for a moment. I'm behind on the blog. I have a few half-finished posts waiting for a bit of editing, a few posts on the other computer waiting to be transfered over, and few ideas for posts. I won't tell you what they are. I learned my lesson the hard way last time I tried that. But, you may be inundated soon. (I hope I don't regret saying that!)


Anyway, onto the seizure update. No seizures since early December. Yay! We had an appointment with Cayla's new neurologist (yay!) mid-December. He ordered a few tests (3), started her on a new medication (in addition to her old one), and chatted with us for a long time (yay!). Her new medication made her very drowsy at first. A drowsy Cayla may fall asleep, or just.be.really.crabby. This made our MI vacation quite interesting. She's still got the drowsy/crabby streak which means I have feeling her daily nap will continue for some time. Her new doctor didn't think her "dizzy" spells were seizure activity (yay-not seizures, boo-what are they?).


We did the blood test last week. Did I mention that Cayla has come to hate needles/shots/etc. ? The blood test consisted of some loud screaming, intense holding of her arm and other flailing appendages, and a band-aid that she kept on for 6 days. Don't ever take a band-aid off Cayla. I did once and heard about it for days. I always thought she would be one of those kids that yanked her tooth out 3 days after it became loose. Now, I'm not so sure.


Next Thursday she goes into the hospital for a 48-hour EEG monitoring session. From Thurs afternoon to Sat afternoon, Cayla will be confined to a room, attached to monitor by a 12-foot cord, and have a bunch of little things (can't remeber the official name) glued to her head. Really, this could be fun. Flannery or I will be there the entire time and I envision lots of board games, hairstyling (of us), and popcorn eating. Visitors are encouraged, so if anyone was planning on coming up to Boston, next Th-Sat would be the time!!!!!


And, then finally, she has an MRI scheduled for the 2nd Sunday in February. She had one 2 years ago that didn't show anything abnormal. This one will be with a more powerful magnet (for those you who know what they means?!?!?).


Are you still with me? What is the capitol of Burkina Faso?

3 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boring? Are you kidding? You could post pictures every day of what you ate for breakfast or the color of the kids socks and I'd check in.

Do you even know how insane my job is becoming? Just today there were two new emails...new forms to fill out... more paperwork...and oh by the way? decisions we made last year by April now must be made by the second Friday of February. Paperwork sucks.

And on to the important stuff... no seizures for Cayla is HUGE! I know the sleepy part seems like a high price to pay but it's worth it right? And while we won't be making it to Boston next weekend the visual of Cayla teethered to something is quite interesting. We'll send her lots of light and love. :-)

Can't WAIT to read the upcoming blog entries--you and the blog world are high on my list of reinforcers when working late---do an hour of school work--five minute blog check :-)

Take care--

Julie

ps the capital is Ouagadougou

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I am still with you and the capital of Burkina Faso is Ouagadagou.

That medical adventure promises to be great fun. Are you going to let her chew as much bubble gum as she wants?

Katie

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Bubble gum - thanks! We've got the Hurricane Popcorn Packets packed, but haven't stocked up on bubble gum!

Julie - it's a REALLY good thing I hadn't discovered blogs when I was teaching.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home