create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes: Happy Patriots' Day!

Monday, April 16, 2007

Happy Patriots' Day!



Don't worry. I hadn't heard of it either until a few days ago. However, Massachusetts (I still can't spell this darn state correctly and have to look it up EVERY time I write it) takes its role in the history of the U.S. seriously and thus, Patriots' day. And, as with Columbus Day, everything in the city is shut down; banks, libraries, schools, and Tufts University . . . ahhh. Which is good and convenient since more than a few streets were shut down this morning as 23, 869 people ran and wheeled themselves through the town. Not shut down for long, however, since you need to be able to cover your 26+ miles in around 4 hours (although, women who are over 80 only need a qualifying time of 5hrs 30min to enter). Since we have been going back and forth to Michigan so much, we've missed a lot of fun, interesting events (I WILL make it to First Night some year!). So, I was estatic to find out that we were going to be in town for the Boston Marathon. However, it was a bit cold, windy, and rainy this morning. After Flannery walked Greta through what she described as "hurricane-like-winds", we decided that although we might enjoy it, the kids would be miserable and then probably get sick, to boot. So, instead we celebrated Patriots' Day by covering the kitchen table with bubbles, the most patriotic thing I could think of next to watching the Boston Marathon. We WILL catch it next year.

3 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger laj said...

I

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger laj said...

I like that they're wearing their "Up North" shirts, though, while celebrating Patriots' Day.

You can take the kids outta Michigan, but you can't take the Michigan outta the kids! Yeah!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Yes, I never thought of myself particularly loyal to MI until I moved away.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home