create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

I had a crappy day today, so here I am:)  I always remember to blog when things aren't going well.  Cayla has had a really rough week, which generally translates into a rough week for us all.  With the homeschooling and a new therapy we are trying (neurofeedback) and the arrival of the foster kids she has been doing great.  Really great.  Really, really great.  Chatting with our friends great.  No meltdowns great.  And, then this week crashed in on us and brought us back to reality.  Needless to say, there has been a lot of hot baths, movie watching, breaks from the little kids, and listening to music on her headphones while reading Garfield books - except for that one small instance when she ripped the library's Garfield book to shreads (that evening she ate dinner in the bath while listening to music and was happy as a clam!).

Anyway, back to today.  We had a couple of appointments this morning and then Cayla had a meltdown because she was hungry and didn't want soup for lunch!  I responded with one of my worst parenting moments ever - it involved whisper screaming, flying apples, and hands coated in peanut butter, and I'll stop there.

In our house, bad parenting moments are usually followed by art projects or food.  So after quiet time (aka the 3-year-old really needs to be taking a nap, so we ALL are going to spend time in our beds and pretend to sleep) we got to work on some peanut butter playdough nests.  Um, YUM!

OK, this isn't the best photo, but trying to take photos without the foster kids in them is next to impossible.

Then after a couple more cries, we realized that we needed to end the night with a dance party.  Who knew the endorphines We Build This City . . . . could bring out in our family.  I took Katie's advice and videotaped the whole thing.  I then broke the magic by showing them a You tube video of a 5-year-old breakdancing.  This resulted in  the athletic 3 year-old in our house spinning on his head and pushing the older, sensitive kids in our family (thats what you do in breakdancing competitions . . . ) and you can image the rest.

2 Comments:

At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, i just wrote a long, heartfelt, and what I thought was funny comment on this post. Then I erased it somehow. You are the best. I have completed the paperwork. SPring Break. Send your perfect children here. Or just some of them. I will have Daniela do an extreme pill swallowing demonstration and we'll eat egg salad.

 
At 12:12 AM, Anonymous Rachel said...

this was the day before we saw you? I had no idea. Believe me, you are an amazing parent... I feel like I should take lessons. It was so wonderful to see you and meet the littles and I can't wait to see you again. And now that Maya is the age Dalya was when you were in Boston, it somehow makes me miss your family even more, if possible. Hugs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home