Ugh and Playing Hookey
Ugh first. So, Cayla had a rough time at school last week. Wednesday was awful (I can't remember why now . . . ). On Thursay, her teacher, Mrs. S, called mid-day to say that Cayla was having a really hard time at school. I had a long talk with Mrs. S after-school on Thursday.
It was good - all good. I found out that she was a long term sub at the school where I used to teach computers. And we talked about Cayla too :) She is a wonderful teacher who HATES the pressure put on kindergarden with it's ridiculous, full, overstuffed curriculum. I'm glad you want my kid reading, but we're still working on getting the letters. LMNO is not one letter. And, it's not as if we haven't been working the alphabet for years - she's just not ready. Ummmm. Rant over. I'm going to steal my friend, Julie's line and close by saying "if the next time you see me I'm talking about the amount of homework in first grade I recommend you walk the other way!!!!!!" Just substitute "kindergarten curriculum" for the words in red. Grrrr. Now, where was I? Right. Onto Friday.On Friday, her teacher called at 3:30 to say that I needed to come and get Cayla because she had waloped someone with her backpack. Given that school lets out at 3:42 and I was about to get her anyway, this last call was just a message to Cayla. I was a teacher. I know about these messages. But this is my baby.
Needless to say, we followed this crummy week with a lovely weekend on the shore of Lake Michigan, complete with sand, a playground (site of the monkey bars), and GRANDPARENTS.
Regardless of how Cayla and Collin were feeling on Monday, there was no way they were going to school. It's not just teachers who need mental health days. We had a fabulous time. The kids never got out of their PJs. There was lots of spinning in the chair, cookies made, and playing around these parts. And, then, today the kids had an eye appointment that lasted from 11am to 2:15pm (!!!!!). It seemed to late to head back to school, so we went to our favorite museum that's not in Boston. All in all it's been a wonderful week. I will not hesitate to pull the hookey card again.





4 Comments:
until parents basically revolt and demand curriculum that is developmentally appropriate and respect each individual learner and where they are, we are going to continue to push more and more on the plate of these little kids, because of nclb and the high stakes testing....don't get me going...... -T
I know. Really. And change is not coming from the State or National level. And it's pretty hard to effect change while teaching. You are bound by your school's curriculum and too d*** tired to raise a fuss and many parents want to you push their kid. So, you are right. It needs to come from the parents. I'd best stop blogging and start doing something.
I am glad to hear that things turned around for the family! Having taught Kindergarten, I understand the stress! That is why our kids grow up way too fast!
I am all about mental health days- glad the kids had a good one.
Post a Comment
<< Home