create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes: The Busy Body Book: A Kid's Guide to Fitness by Lizzy Rockwell

Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Busy Body Book: A Kid's Guide to Fitness by Lizzy Rockwell

We looooooovvvvvveeeee this book. Cayla, and especially Collin, have an unsaciable interest in how their bodies work. Collin is very found of putting food in his mouth and saying where that food is going (usually his toes or fingers). And lately, we've really been doing a lot of explaining about what is going on at their doctor visits and why they need so many "tests". We've found plenty of . . . . um . . . . "birds and bees" books at their level, but never one that covers the whole body in less than 1000 words. Collin likes The Magic School Bus: Inside the Human Body by Joanna Cole and Bruce Degen, but it's looonnnnggg and quite detailed.


This book is perfect. It focuses on physical activity, so there are plenty of pictures of kids running, jumping, bike riding, raking leaves, scrubbing the floor, swinging, gardening, playing soccer, etc. The images of kids are quite diverse: lots of kids of color and kids in racing wheelchairs. There are two pages each for the skeleton, the muscles, the brain & nerves, the lungs, the heart & blood vessels, and the stomach & intestines. And, best of all, a soccer team is featured near the end. Collin will read ANY book that features a soccer team. Soccer team + explaining body stuff = heaven for our boy.

And check out the author's cool website!

4 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will have to check out that book! Dalya recently asked if her body creates antibodies for food. DO they? I had no idea. (This was after watching 5 minutes of an episode of Magic Schoolbus where the kid's body created antibodies to the schoolbus...confirming my rule of not letting her watch a show I hadn't previously watched...oops).

 
At 9:56 PM, Blogger Baby's family said...

Ok, I am so excited to have the blog! I get reports from others but I am thrilled to be able to keep up now! They are so big now, I cannot believe it!

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Damon + Maryam said...

I love the blog! The notes from the kids are adorable. I may just have to steal that idea :) I'm going to add it to my favorite mommy links.

I'm still teaching (it pays the bills) but of course, my first love is writing. I'm working on book #3 now.

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!! I am so glad I can keep up with the kids! They are so big- how proud you must be that they are in kindergarten. I am adding you on as a link so I can keep up with the kids. As for as I am concerned...I am taking a break for a couple of years and after that who knows?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home