create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes: Ummm, here's March

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ummm, here's March

So, I have about 47 things I should be doing right now, but I OWE YOU. March has been quite a month and if I don’t hurry up it will go by without a single entry. And though I promise more interesting thoughts in the next few days, I think I may just need to recap.

So, February 29th – the day that only occurs once every four years, the birthday of our favorite teacher at school, the day of my last entry - Flannery’s grandmother died. Off to Michigan we went. Can’t sum up our feelings here, but since I can’t resist sharing a bit . . . LOTS of questions from the twins – mostly about casket lids and cemeteries. She’s buried in the same cemetery as all my grandparents, a place I’ve wandered through all my life and find very peaceful. So went our first week in March.

Our second week in March was very much tied to our first. In the 2 hours the twins played with their cousin J we caught the flu. I’m not quite sure if I’ve ever had the flu, but now I know why people get flu shots and those with compromised health die from it. It steamrolled us. Highlights included Cayla’s 105 degree temperature and 2 morning full of seizure activity. Collin has never been crankier. On the “bright” side, those 2 mornings convinced me that her “dizzy spells” are actually seizure activity, something her neurologist was not convinced of. We see him next week, so hopefully we can sort it all out.

The twins finally made it back to school and we finally made it to Cambridge after living in Boston for a year and a half. We spent a fun day wandering around and buying my brother birthday presents (which I’ve yet to send – Happy Belated Birthday, Mark!!!!!). So, our lives were normal for a few days. I should have blogged, but instead I had a nice long phone conversation with Katie and we painted easter eggs on the sliding door (the Christmas tree and snow person were getting a bit old.)

And then, last Tuesday, Cayla’s 48-hour outpatient EEG hit. Same as last time – buttons on the head and backpack on the back, but not confined to a hospital room. Honestly, we sort of forgot about it given the funeral and the flu. It’s a good thing Flannery was on break from Tufts. The poor girl was a basket case. I don’t know why I thought an outpatient EEG would be easier than an inpatient one. It was on us, but not on her. And whatever is emotionally draining on Cayla is emotionally draining on us all. Needless to say, a lot of chips, Cheetos, and cheese crackers exchanged hands. She’s a crunchy, salty, cheesely girl at heart (unlike her ice cream/candy leaning mom) and any pre-parent notions I had of not bribing my daughter with treats and prizes and food went out the window when they started gluing wires on her head. The buttons came off her head last Thursday (Oh, the tradegy of it all – none of the process actually hurts, but she’ll talk your ear off . . . ) and then began the mad rush to prepare for . . . drumroll please . . . A VISIT FROM GRANDMA AND GRANDPA. The twins were beside themselves with excitement. They have been talking about it all month. The house was cleaned and organized up the wazoo. Flannery even went so far as to dust (she NEVER dusts) and hid the kids’ library books under their bed. Lists were made, schedules were brainstormed, and restaurant reviews were compiled. We didn’t want Flannery’s parents to get bored in our little, dull corner of Boston. In the end, they weren’t bored – quite the opposite. We were all completely exhausted after getting a whirlwind tour of the city. And they are already missed. They left this morning and Cayla has been asking all day when they are coming back. I’ll post photos soon and I promise it won’t take 4 weeks.

3 Comments:

At 11:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In all fairness, it was most likely Cousin J's father P who brought the flu to Michigan. And apparently the flu shots weren't working this year, anyway, as they were for last year's brand o' flu.

We also got a quick and lovely visit from the grandparents, who were dragged around the new house by J's latest gambit: grabbing your hand, saying "watch your hand," and pulling you up off of whatever comfortable seat you may be on to find something, most likely crayons or a wooden bunny rabbit that was hopping all over this week.

Missing you all!!!
Cousin J's father P (flu carrier)

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Fair enough. I have no proble shifting blame.

"We caught the flu from Flan's brother, and man was it wicked!!!!!"

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't always nice to know who to blame when your family becomes miserably sick isn't it? :-)

I can't believe that through it all you managed to call Avery on her birthday AND send a card. I'm impressed and she was excited.

I have this goal of calling you over my spring break (week after next) to fill you in on our family happenings (somethings up with Cayley--perhaps food intolerances)
Anyway--nice to see you again in the blog-o-sphere!!!

Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home