Down with Princesses!
I've been meaning to compose an anti-princess entry for some time based on my favorite anti-princess article of all time. In it, Peggy Orenstein eloquently said just about everything I'd been thinking for years. And, she gave some extra info - like the fact that, "when Mulan does appear, she is typically in the kimonolike hanfu, which makes her miserable in the movie, rather than her liberated warrior’s gear." (pg 2, paragraph 5, if you are reading it online). It's a long article, but I highly recommend it.
And then I saw this article and was reminded that I'd yet to compose my anti-princess entry. And then I followed one of the links in it to another piece on princesses and decided that there is really no need for me to write anything. It's all been said. Enjoy the links!
(In searching for images to put here, I found these handy tips to "help my child feel like a princess". Wooo hoooo!)





2 Comments:
Ha! That's great. I love Ehrenreich: "Contrary to the rumors I have been trying to spread for some time, Disney Princess products are not contaminated with lead. More careful analysis shows that the entire product line--books, DVDs, ball gowns, necklaces, toy cell phones, toothbrush holders, T-shirts, lunch boxes, backpacks, wallpaper, sheets, stickers etc.--is saturated with a particularly potent time-release form of the date rape drug."
This recovering princess thanks you for those links!
Anytime, your highness (once removed) . . .
Post a Comment
<< Home