Web Page Guru!?!?!?!
First, let me apologize - nothing I'm about to write has anything to do with Collin and Cayla.
An organization I've been working with here wants to create a website and I'm tempted to volunteer myself. It's the family network where I took the amazing 'Rasing Kids of Color in a Race-Conscious Society' class. It's a very small non-profit run by an amazing woman. They have been given space on 2 other websites, but it's hard to navigate through them and they need to go through other people to publish their info. So after a bit of research, here are my basic questions.
- In terms of money, does one usually pay monthly (eg $10/month) for a domain name or are their other hidden costs (eg start up, annual fee, registration, etc)? Can one buy a domain name from any of the 34,756 sites selling domains or there a reason to be picky?Do you pay to get a domain name AND pay someone to host it or is this the same thing?
- Can one make a simple web site using Publisher or should I find a professional to create the website? We're going for very simple here: a few pages that describe the programs, show some photos, give a schedule, explain the mission, etc.
- How do you get your website to appear when searched in Google, etc. - does this cost money too, or is it automatic?
- Are websites fairly easy to change and maintain once created. Can anyone who handy on the computer do it or do you need someone who really knows what they are doing?
- Any websites or books you can refer me to?
Mark, Margaret, anyone, . . . . . . .
Don't bother answering all my questions - just let me know and I'll call you (unless you live in Switzerland and I haven't yet bought a microphone for my computer like you suggested 4 months ago). Thanks!!!




2 Comments:
1. Domains require a YEARlY registration fee in general. It is never per month, and for sure not 10 USD per month. Some service providers will give you a domain for life, provided you stay with them for hosting your site. I pay Gandi.net to register my domains, and they're hosted through lunarpages.com, but lunarpages also will give you a domain name. So it can or can't be the same thing.
2. Websites are easier than ever to create and manage, any program can be used, even iWeb for the Mac.
3. Websites appear in Google when Google bots crawl your website. They look for keywords and analyse the content of your site. I can help you Search Engine Optimize your site, first you create content.
4. Websites are easier than ever to maintain. You can probably buy a website for dummies book, but it's a waste since there's more info on the net about web publishing than anything else. I'll see if I can call you and explain everything.
Thanks, Mark. That helps immensely. I'll e-mail you.
Post a Comment
<< Home