create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes: Birthday and Seizure Update

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Birthday and Seizure Update


A bit morbid of me to combine these two in an update, but they seemed to go hand-in-hand this weekend. Cayla has had 5 "dizzy spells" in the past few months, or "bizzy" in her words. I don't know if you ever read this, Dan, but when she was on the phone with you the other day she was telling you she was "bizzy at school", although she's also very busy most days! Anyway, 3 of these dizzy spells occured on Thursday, Friday (B-Day!!!), and Saturday morning. We were getting mixed messages from all our medical advisors. Her pediatrician thought they were caused by her seizure meds (she's on a really high dose), the nurse at the neurologist's office wanted to make sure we checked blood pressure and blood sugar after the spells (no problem, I'll just pull out my blood pressure cuff and finger pricking kit), and her neurologist thought they were seizures and upped her meds (think of how the pediatrician felt about this - especially after we saw him 2 days in row asking him to check her blood sugar while telling him her meds were upped . . . ). I could write your ear off, but I won't - call me if you feel like killing a few hours. Anyway, the end of the story is that we do think that Cayla is having a new kind of seizure, her meds are upped and she didn't have one today, her blood sugar is fine, and we had a lovely few birthday days of laid-back fun in our apartment. Friday was especially nice. Flannery came home early, we ate scrambled eggs for dinner, and took a few hours to open about 10 presents. I lllllloooovvvveeee the laid-back present opening. Twins opened up some gum first and it was ten minutes before they were interested in another present. There was lots of book reading and beading and block building in between presents. Cayla took 2 hours to eat her cupcake(bite - present - play - ....) - and actually never got beyond the toppings. We had a lazy day on Saturday enjoying all the new stuff and baking more treats for the party on Sunday. Sunday was seizure free! One of our 2 party guests was sick (feel better Soph!), but Dayla, Collin, and Cayla decorated some mean cupcakes and Flannery outdid herself with a yummy, Mexican-inspired brunch. Along with the normal beans and potatoes and salsa and . . . . she made this new butternut squash/cream cheese mush/fluff/stuff, which prompted Collin to say, "I like your food. You should go and cook with Uncle Dan." - Now that's high praise. We'll make it for you next time we see you, Rosie. We ended the day with a short walk in a nearby nature preserve. The leaves smelled lovely, the rocks were calling to be climbed, and lots of sticks found new homes. Sorry, for the long, rambling post - I feel better already.

2 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to know that you're experiencing seizure free days. It must have been so frustrating to have different doctors telling you different things.-sometimes I wonder if any of them know what they're talking about.

Macie was happy to hear that the twins had turned five--mostly becuase that meant since she was six she is still older than them--god forbid something screwy happens with the math and some day on their birthday they pass her up :-)

We watched the movie It's Elementary at Clare aneed Patti's this weekend (did you see the LMN email?) and I missed you both and your input into the discussion. Of course it couldn't have competed with the brunch or the nature walk.

I should go--Erica can you hear my progress notes calling me?.......

Julie

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Erica said...

You could just make up the progress notes . . . just kidding.

I've been meaning to watch 'It's Elementary' for some time now. I've had 2 professors show it in classes that I had to miss for some reason or other - definitely equal to brunch-n-nature.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home