Scissors
Flannery would like to know why anyone ever thought it was a good idea to give Cayla and Collin scissors. I just did a quick count and came up with 9 pairs of child-sized scissors. This doesn't include the 12 pairs of "funky border" scissors or 3 pairs of adult scissors they use when they can't find their 9 pairs. Our kids LOVE to cut. I estimate that Cayla goes through 5 sq. ft. of paper per day: mail, magazines, her artwork, paint sample cards, Flannery's old papers - anything will do. And when she cuts, she really does a number. We're talking lots and lots of little pieces. She also likes slicing up string - she'll reduce 1 foot into 47 pieces in no time. Collin seems to prefer thicker materials. He likes cutting up boxes. He is expecially partial to pasta boxes with the cellophane windows. He pierces the window and then cuts out little doors - which last about 5 minutes before he shreads them.
Of course, I am puffing with pride as I write this. This is art how it was meant to be. I have no problem with the fact that our house experiences a ticker tape parade on a daily basis. Flannery on the other hand gets a bit miffed with all the paper scraps. She doesn't see these cuttings as an endless supply of collage materials, but as clutter that is encrouching upon her orderly house. When I clean up (don't laugh, I do occasionally), I put the bits of paper back into the twins' recycling box. Flannery, of course, throws them away. (Be careful in the comments, or I may revoke the 1st addition Christmas gifts). Tonight, as I was putting Cayla and Collin to bed and Flannery was straightening up she remarked, "I can't keep up. I'd barely be able to keep up with you all without scissors, but with scissors . . . . who thought it was a good idea to give Cayla and Collin scissors anyway?!?!?!"





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home