create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes: Ode to "The Farm"

Friday, September 28, 2007

Ode to "The Farm"


"Ode to the Farm" #3
Originally uploaded by melnykowycz
Our neighbor gave us the farm about 2 years ago. He was moving and his 4-year-old son was done with it. He thought we would like it because Collin and Cayla could learn their colors and numbers just as his son had. I don’t think the twins picked up their colors and numbers (although we are getting closer!!!), but “The Farm” has served us well during our umpteen hours in the car over the past year. It’s a car toy and that’s where it stays. Collin likes to bang on it and push as many buttons as he can as quickly as he can – sort of like his cousin. Cayla likes to listen to the songs. And not only does it play, “Old McDonald” and various other tunes I can’t remember (which is crazy because I’ve listened to them hundreds of times, I believe), it moos them, chirps them, woofs them, etc.

On with my story . . . . in the car the other day, Collin got a bit too aggressive with the farm and it stopped playing music. Cayla was beside herself with grief. When Cayla is beside herself, she picks up anything and everything and flings it all every which way while screaming at the top of her lungs. Nothing I said seemed to help, until I suggested we take it apart when we got home and try to fix it. Cayla loves anything to do with tools and fixing.

The twins didn’t forget my offer and spent the next few days unscrewing it and taking it apart. And lo and behold, they fixed it. They really did. Cayla held the wire onto the negative terminal while Collin pushed the “on” button, and once again a chicken clucking “Old McDonald” filled our house. It’s a good think we don’t have too many electronic toys. I fear the ones we do have will be taken apart quite soon.

Lesson learned: While a toy may only amuse a child for a few minutes, taking it apart will occupy them for many (ahhhhhhhhhhh) hours.

(click on the photo to see a few more)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home