create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes: The Three Current Battles of Cayla

Friday, September 07, 2007

The Three Current Battles of Cayla


Although Cayla is a very kind hearted soul, she also has a bit of a stubborn side. You call tell it’s coming on by the gleam in her eye. These are the times that she decides she wants to play with whatever Collin is holding or wants to drink whatever we are out of or insists upon a shower when I suggest a bath. At these times she basically chooses demands the very thing that we don’t want her to do. However, as of late, we have been waging 3 battles in which she is remaining consistent: computers, baby swings, and the spelling of her name.

Computers
Whenever Cayla spots a computer she wants on! It doesn’t matter whether it’s the library catalog computer, a computer at Flan’s school, or one in her preschool classroom. And if she doesn’t get to use it immediately she generally throws a fit. Her preschool teacher learned this the hard way when Cayla attempted to circumvent the turn-taking method and pitched a fit on Wednesday when another child dared to use the computer in her classroom. Computer rage is now added into the 5 minute report I get when I pick up the twins from preschool. Thursday was a good day and Friday (today) included one computer tantrum that Cayla resolved by breathing and washing her face. She later had a fit at Flan’s school where we went for a BBQ tonight.

Baby Swings
Cayla loves to swing at the playground. Cayla loves baby swings. After she learned to pump and get on a normal swing I attempted to abandon the baby swing. It’s not working. I tell her that she’s too big (she’s 45 lbs and barely fits in them), but usually some well-meaning parent who is pushing their 20 lbs. kid sticks her in one. I tried Rosie’s tactic and told her she could swing in it if she could get in and out. But she can’t, so she throws a tantrum and starts flinging the swing at the happy, 20 lbs. baby. Perhaps I should tell her she’s not allowed to use the regular swing and can only use the baby one . . . . hmmm . . .

C-A-Y-L-A
Cayla insists her name starts with an “A”. This is after she tells you it is spelled “C-A-Y-L-A”. And she’ll proudly tell you that her name has 2 “A’s” in it and a “C” too. And it starts with an “A”. Our discussion on this is very circular and I see no end in sight.

6 Comments:

At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

test
Julie

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry about the test...I just wrote this long comment and when I went to publish it something wacky happened and it disappear so I ran a test.

And not it's even later and I must go to bed so here's the summary:

*glad you're back in the blogosphere
*missed you at the transracial adoption group today
*try making comments about school vs questions or if you as questions give choices


Julie: We have a gym at my school
Macie: I went to gym today!
Julie: our gym teacher's name is Mr. Phil
Macie; I don't remember my gym teacher's name
Julie: Mr. Phil sets up centers in our gym
Macie: this is what my teacher taught us (demonstrates)

Julie: Did you color a picture today or hear a book?
Macie: the teacher read a book
Julie: Did you play in the kitchen or with blocks?
Macie: The kitchen was closed, I did a puzzle with Raven

and...

who is dayla?
and did you ever figure Pia out?


julie

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger laj said...

Ok, that picture of Cayla rocks. I must save it to my computer now!

Also, I too experience "computer rage" from time to time...

 
At 12:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you on Skype? If so we could talk through that instead of calling. I'm using it to call home.

-mark

 
At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Avery: I see toe Ima? I wanna see a toe.

Macie: That's Cayla. Why did you write my name? Stop AVery. You said you'd share the chair with me. Get off the other side. OK. Sit.

Avery: I wanna sit with you Ima.

Macie: Yeah! I get the whole chair. Ummm..I like how Cayla looks. Did you paint on yourself?

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Erica said...

Julie, I have tried the leading questions. They are becoming a bit more successful, but not much. I'll get it out of them yet. In fact when I ask them, "Did you play in the kitchen or with blocks?", they both look at me with surprise and say, "Yes!!!" in the the same way they say "yes" to everything else.

Dalya is my friend's daughter, Rachel, who I went to middle school with. I'm babysitting Dayla 3 afternoons a week.

And, I completely forgot about Skype. Carrie totally sold me on it last fall. I even planned to buy a web cam . . . .and apparently it slipped my mind. I'll look into it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home