Whale Watching!
It all began rather innocently. We were dicussing our Sunday plans which probably were going to include grocery shopping. And then, Flannery decided that she was caught up on work and that we should do a day trip. Our day trips usually involve the ocean or the state of Maine. (Although, I have decided that we should probably see something historical before we leave this hotbed of historical places.) Flannery jumped in the internet to find a state park or national sea shore and 10 minutes later asked me what I thought of whale watching. My first thought was that it was probably expensive, but how many times does one get to watch whales? We are slowing exausting all the free activties in and around Boston and Flannery found a trip in which kids under 5 were free. And in a few months they won't be under 5. So, at 6:30am on Sunday morning, we were off for Cape Cod.
As expected, it was amazing. I saw whales when I went to Alaska with my parents and brother a few (ok, more than a few) years ago. But, these Atlantic Ocean whales came much closer to the boat. It was probably the rockiest ride I've ever been on. We could barely walk around. Flannery avoided going to the bathroom for 3 hours because she was afraid to walk down the stairs. Luckily I remebered my Dramamine. It's quite a strange sensation to feel bile in one's mouth and not feel the urge to toss one's cookies. Collin, however was not so luckily and immeadiately threw up the cookie and sandwich we ate as the boat headed back to shore. Perhaps this is why no one around us was eating. Collin loved the trip. He patiently (sort of) watched the whales, screaming in joy whenever he spoted one. At one point we saw a whale, it dived down, and didn't resurface. A lady nearby said, "I wonder where the whale went." Collin looked at her and said, "It's in the water." with a dead pan serious face only a four-year old could pass off. Cayla enjoyed the trip as well . . . until she fell asleep in my lap half-way through it.






2 Comments:
How exciting! I was skimming and summarizing for the girls when I said "aww...Collin threw up"
"Where?! Where!?" they screamed.
"We wanna see!!!!!"
They were highly disappointed.
Totally cool for you guys though.
Julie
My apologies to the girls. I will definiely remember to whip out the camera next time I am trying to catch vomit from Collin's mouth while sitting on a boat that is flinging me and my belongs every which way.
Post a Comment
<< Home