create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes: Spring rolls

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Spring rolls


So, we've finally got internet at home . . . . . ahhhhhhhhh. Unlike our rice maker and second car, I've really missed the internet. Forget about the ketchup - onto today!

Tonight is Flannery's late night. She has class until 9:30pm (!) in Medford, which unlike downtown Boston where all the rest of her classes are, doesn't have a direct train to where we live in Malden. The moral of the story is that we don't eat dinner together on Thursday nights. So, the twins and I had a VERY MESSY eating extravaganza - "Make your own spring rolls". Although I watched Karin very carefully as she wrapped crispy duck skin (yes, I did type "skin", not duck or duck meat) in spring roll skins last summer Olympics, apparently it wasn't careful enough. I experienced my eternal "rolled up" thing problem, be it spring roll or burrito - overstuffing. Collin gave up on the skins early - by the end of dinner he was just eating white rice with soy sauce. Very reminiscent of his Uncle Mark who spent his entire childhood eating plates of rice in Chinese restaurants. Cayla filled all her spring rolls with rice and eggs, preferring all the vegetables on the side. Both of them need to monitored very closely in meals such as these. Why you ask? Soy sauce chugging, of course. Every time I turned my back one of them brought their dish of soy sauce (DIPPING sauce) to their lips. All in all in a messy, fun, messy, long, messy eating experience in which the twins consumed enough soy sauce to keep them well sodiumed for a week (Flannery is in nutrition school . . . . )

We miss you all!!!!!!!!!!
Love, Erica

5 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My rolls, be it sushi, spring, burritos or lumpia, are never good examples of well-wrapped and rolled packets of goodness. My mom rolls perfectly held together and tight sushi rolls. I make sure I cut the rolls up before anyone has a chance to see it in all its messy glory.

Hoisin sauce is a good sauce for spring rolls, too, and it's harder to chug.

 
At 7:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way, you didn't bring the rice cooker?

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Erica said...

No rice cooker, no toaster oven, no wire whisk . . . if only you had been there to help us pack instead of frolicking around Northern Ohio.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Erica said...

No child of mine eats their clothes. Zipper pulls are so chewable however. In fact, it came to us missing. It's a real mystery. Diane's is pretty darn cool. Have fun.

 
At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, and I still haven't found a way to optimize the Soy sauce to rice ratio.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home