it's all real now
I have to report that last night walking home I heard my first authentic boston use of wicked. A few women were walking out of a restaurant chatting, and one commented to the other that her hair had gotten wicked long.
I suppose you all would like to hear some real news too since I've been really out of touch. We don't have internet at home and it's hard to remember to blog while sitting at the library or wherever. And Erica and the twins have been back in MI as most of you know since last weekend, so I have no good twin items to report. It sucks not having them here, but it's much better at least now having their stuff here with me instead of sleeping on the floor with nothing.
So, classes are going well. Erica is making fun of me already because as part of my fundamentals of nutrition class we had to keep track of everything we ate for 3 days so I had the scale out at every meal and was grilling her about how she made dinner. I'm also taking statistics, which since I'm in the policy track (vs. the science track, which is epidemiology and biomolecular nutrition and clinical nutrition) is for people who don't like math so it's basic and easy so far. Epidemiology is cool and we talk about chimney sweeps in the 1800s with scrotal cancer and flu seasons and 16th century Italian nuns with breast cancer. And then my last class is intro to food policy, which is very interesting, but a ton of work so far (we've had from 120-150 pages of reading each week) and my first paper is due next week and I'm pretty stressed about it.
I've been trying half-heartedly and unsucessfully to find a job, but as long as Erica and the kids are mooching off my parents and all of you and I'm spending $30 a week on groceries and $10 a week on the subway and maybe 75 cents to put air in my bike tires I'm not too worried about it. The drawback is that my school is in the middle of Chinatown and I won't let myself spend any money there. It's tough some days.
On that note, you all need to come visit and then we can visit all the bakeries in Chinatown and the farmer's market and all that. And we have plenty of room - our apartment is cool. It's a little dingy in some ways, but it's big with lots of closets and quiet and the landlord has grape vines in the backyard. We didn't really bring enough stuff to fill it up (ummm, like a couch), but when Erica gets back with the car maybe we'll acquire some cheap to free furnishings.
Ok, enough for now. Love you all.
f





1 Comments:
Dingy is a bit of an understatement. The bathroom is gross. The hallway floor is not to be attempted barefoot. The kitchen floor was once a very different color. And, I simply avoid the litte room between our back door and the porch.
But none of this bothers me. It really reminds me of my grandparents' house (on my dad's side). In fact, it even smells the same, which brought on a warm, fuzzy wave of nostolgia.
I like it!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home