Blogon . . . take me away . . .
So, this blog, that's I've basically abandoned, started out as a way for me to keep with touch with everyone when we stole off to Boston for two years. And, then once back, it was my therapy when things got crazy with the kids:) Our lovely Cayla had quite a meltdown tonight. Has a house ever fallen over by repeated slamming of doors? We have a formula for what constitutes a meltdown. Cayla has to hurt someone (basically any kick, hit, push, etc.), break something, or intend to break something (throw a rock at a window, hit a bike with a stick etc.). I've yet to decide if door slamming fits in the meltdown list, but WOW can Cayla (and little man) slam a door when they are angry. She is not technically hurting anyone or breaking anything.
Cayla has really become more settled in the last few years. She has her good and bad days and usually only melts down a few times a month if that . . . . except when spring hits. And, here we are. Spring. We are still not sure what it is about this time of year. It's probably either an emotional memory or a visceral thing that coincides with the coming of spring. We have a few ideas of some emotionally charged things that occurred at this time of year when she was young. And this article that my dear friend shared with me sums up the seasonal mood disorder. In many ways, it doesn't matter why she is out of sorts in the spring, we just need to figure out how to help her settle her body and manage her emotions.
She started to see a new therapist at this time last year - spring is always our crisis time! Although her work with this therapist hasn't been earth shattering, we continue to go because we want her to realize how seriously we take her meltdowns. AND, he introduced us to EFT which was pretty earth shattering for Cayla. Basically, Cayla comes up with an emotion she wants to release (I'm mad at my brother for hitting me, I'm frustrated with science homework, I'm sad . . . etc.) and rates how she feels on a scale of 0-10. Then we pull up the emotion by talking about it while tapping on these specific parts on her body. Then she releases them by literally saying, "I release being mad . . . I release being mad . . . " while tapping on the points again. Deep breath to release the emotion and boom, she's done. I swear it works. I don't know why, I don't know how. But, it works. Except when she refuses to do it. Like, when she refuses to do it in the spring when she needs it the most. Siiiiiggggggghhhhhhhh . . . . Like today.
The house did not fall down when she slammed the door. The rest of us were emotionally shaken, as we always are Cayla has a meltdown. But, Flannery and I are still standing. The kids are asleep (or at least somewhat sequestered in their sleeping quarters surrounded by a variety of dinosaurs and a rubber sting ray. Go the f$%& to sleep!!!!!!). Life goes on. Lunches are made. I've written on the blog. First world problems
. And, there are always videos of a cute, laughing, creative Cayla to pull me up when I've drown in a pool of her meltdown.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home