Third Grade!
I think it's fair to say that the first day of 3rd grade was a success. Time will tell. Each year I become more and more disenchanted with our education system. However, my children continue to declare their undying love for school. Cayla has been waiting for this day since the first day of summer vacation. She is the number one proponent for year round school. She would also like it to meet on weekends and snowdays, thank you very much. She was most unhappy with the summer vacation that occurred after kindergarten. We tried to explain to her that the teachers and students needed a break. She looked at us and insisted that SHE did not need a break.
Collin has always struggled academically in school. I'm hopefully for this year, however. He was certified LD (learning disabled) at the end of last year, so he'll be getting some support and modified work this year. Woo hoo! And, his third grade teacher was his summer school teacher, so the continuity will be nice.
Cayla is re-entering gen-ed (with A LOT of support). Flannery and I are petrified that it will end in disaster, but we've got our fingers crossed. Cayla is super excited to be in a regular classroom. I was working today, but Flannery had the day off, so she stayed with Cayla for the 1st hour of the day, which is probably the longest time Flannery has ever been in classroom since graduating:) She said it was a bit touch-and-go, but the other students did a great job helping her out. I can't say I love our school, but don't know if I have the energy to go to a new place and form a new community for my kids. She started to lose it at lunch; luckily I was in the cafeteria at the same time and was able to help her get settled.
Cayla stayed after school to play, but Collin was pooped and decided to walk home after school. We all celebrated surviving the first day with dinner at Zingermann's. Yum! I think the kids drank their weight in cream soda and root beer. Collin ended his meal with a lemon gelato. It's not a flavor I would ever have picked, but he allowed me a taste and WOW! I recommend Zingermann's lemon gelato to anyone who needs a sweet bite of something after a long day. Divine.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home