create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes: Literary Review

Friday, January 08, 2010

Literary Review

Every generation has their books. The ones that come in a series and you can't put down. The ones that you feverishly scour the library for because your parents won't buy them. The ones that adults think are rubbish. The ones that an author keep kicking out more titles to even through they could have stopped with 10 (or 1). Well, Collin and Cayla have found theirs.












They are both totally smitten with Fly Guy. A few weeks ago I groaned everytime one of them picked one as their bedtime story, but I admit that the little fly is kind of growing on me. He's funny. He's smart. He's really quite nice and definitely loyal. And, he's just gross enough to be funny, but not too over the top. Their school library is chock full of them and instead of bringing one home occassionally, Collin now regularly brings home two every week. And, Cayla, who won't give a hoot about her five homework words we'll work on this weekend (on, out, our, please, pretty) can now read 'fly', 'guy', 'brown', 'oozy', 'lumpy', and 'smelly'. Now that's empowered learning at its finest.



So, I don't give Fly Gly the #1 spot in my 'Best Children's Book of All Time' list. And, I don't even necessarily recommend it. However, anything that causes my children to rip open their backpack when they get home from school and read together is OK in my book. And, considering that someone is usually melting down or hanging on me or pummeling their sibling when then drag their tired bodies home from school, the below image is just about priceless. So, bring on the Fly Guy!

3 Comments:

At 8:39 AM, Blogger Baby's family said...

How fun! I don't know that one, so I will definitely have to check it out. IF they are reading, they are reading! Doesn't matter so much what it is, as long as they love reading!

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Erica said...

Exactly! Read cereal boxes for all I care:)

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Caden LOVED Fly Guy, Hi Fly Guy, and whatever other versions have come after :) I preferred Fly Guy to the now favorite "Wimpy Kid" series, or Captain Underpants. Ugh.
:) Lorien

 

Post a Comment

<< Home