Habari gani?
I love the holiday of Kwanzaa, but we've yet to really figure out how to celebrate it. The problem is that it starts the day after Christmas and by then we are completely wiped out. Flannery's mom gave us the kinara she used in her classroom and I set everything up on Sunday night (the second day of Kwanzaa). And, this year the kids are really into it. Collin couldn't wait to "light the candles and say prayers". We caught ourselves up tonight, talking about the first 3 principals, and talking about things we were thankful for. The kids were so cute and insightful. We went around (3 times . . . ) and they talked about their families and friends and teachers and Soupie and Babci (great-grandmothers who have passed on). It was really touching.
And, they each got to strike a match and light a candle. It took Collin a long time to strike it hard enough - Flan finally helped him. Cayla, seeing her brother's timidness, got it lit on the first try and then nearly dropped it:) All in all, it was a lovely evening. I know I say this every year, but 7-year-olds are the best!





3 Comments:
Its good to think every year is the best year that means you enjoy your children at every stage of their life.
We too also haven't really solidified our Kwanzaa celebration. It varies from year to year. Generally we have a special meal on one of the nights. I'm getting good at making a peanut, sweet potato soup! We also sometimes just focus on one of the themes instead of trying to do it all. Let us know if you come up with any great ideas!
@ Casselle - I love little kids and didn't think 7-years could be as cute as 2-year-olds, but they are!
@theresa - the kids took over Kwanzaa this year and kept us on track. It was wonderful. I'll try and write about soon.
Post a Comment
<< Home