create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes: Our 2011 Advent

Thursday, January 05, 2012

Our 2011 Advent

You knew it was too good to be true - 25 straight days of blogging. Well, I think I lost it around Dec 15, which is patiently waiting in draft form. Flannery and I experienced the evening a little differently and I figured that since I was not the one to play the game of 'hangman' with Cayla that I should replace Flannery's joy with my cynicism. How's that for a teaser . . . perhaps you'll get Dec 15 by Jan 15.


But then, I recovered a bit. However, that last week steamrolled us. In fact, the kids actually forgot to open the envelope on Dec 20 (!!!!!!) - which is good, because although I did go out and buy a dredeil that day I didn't have time to actually look up how to play dredeil, a game I haven't attempted in 30 years. And, it really wasn't a good night to make latkes.

Flannery has made me swore I will go back and finish the posts and I will, because:

1. This blog has become the scrapbook/lifebook/photo album that never made it past Collin and Cayla's 2nd year, 3rd month.

2. I need the references for next year.

3. I am sending out this blog address with the holiday cards I am sending out soon. Did you get yours yet???? (I have now printed photos 3 years in a row and if I wait any more years to send them out, I'll have to add extra postage to the envelopes). I'd like to put my best foot forward:)

4. I want to take down the little stack of papers from where it is hanging. I'm going to take down the Christmas Carol lyrics too. And, it's time for the foam snowflakes to go to. Who invented art foam shapes anyway. I can't stand them. My kids love sticking and gluing them together.

5. For YOU, dear readers:) I know the suspense has been killing you.

6. And, for me and Flannery who read this blog more than you.

7. Perhaps caffeinated tea at 5pm was a poor idea, but good for the blog.

So, this post was actually supposed to be about our newest pet, Toto (who now has a permanent name). She's our honey brown guinea pig whom we love dearly and who is deathly afraid of us. However, instead, I'm going to list our 25 advent activities so that I can deal with #4 above.

  1. December is here! Let's eat hot fudge sundaes BEFORE dinner to celebrate.
  2. Play and dinner with Grandma tonight. Have some chocolate milk for breakfast.
  3. Let's go to Katie and Jeff's for the evening.
  4. Let's go visit a hay farm today. (Cancelled and replaced with crafts at Cobblestone Farm with friends!)
  5. Let's watch a Buster video after school.
  6. We shall sing Christmas carols and other holiday songs after dinner.
  7. A fancy candlelit dinner tonight. Ooo laa laa.
  8. Let's bake some cookies. What kind do you want?
  9. On December 9, 2004, Cayla and Collin officially were placed in our home. Let's celebrate by watching old videos and looking at photos. (Note for next year - figure out some way to string them together so that we don't need to open a new quicktime clip every 7 seconds . . . . )
  10. Time to make some beeswax candles.
  11. We're going to a Michigan Marching Band concert today.
  12. Donuts at Washtenaw Dairy for breakfast.
  13. Cut paper snowflakes and decorate the windows (another next year note - start these, ahem, less exciting activities earlier so that Collin doesn't turn into a mushy pile of sour grapes when opening the activity. In the end, he cut with us, and enjoyed it, dammit!).
  14. It's B.K.S. Iyengar's birthday today. He is 93 years old. We'll do yoga and a foot bath tonight to celebrate.
  15. Let's play a board game tonight. Cayla and Collin's choice.
  16. Holiday Nights at Greenfield Village with Grandma and Grandpa. Out to eat @ Cedarland and a sleepover too!
  17. Let's go cut down a Christmas tree and decorate the house.
  18. We will make buckeye balls today . . . and caramels too. Who do you want to give them to?
  19. It's Mama's birthday today. Let's sing her songs, read her poems, and eat ice cream.
  20. Tonight is the 1st night of Hanukkah. Let's eat latkes for dinner and play dreidel.
  21. We are singing at the mall tonight. We'll get some food at Olga's before the caroling begins.
  22. Happy Winter Solstice! Let's eat dinner and breakfast by candlelight to celebrate the shortest day of the year.
  23. Christmas party at Grandma and Grandpa's. J, A, D, and E will be there!
  24. It's Christmas Eve. Let's put out some treats and food for the birds.
  25. Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas! Let's open presents and give everyone their gifts. What are you thankful for?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home