create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes

Friday, October 23, 2009

So, there are few few topics burning in my mind right now that I would love to expound on.


First off I'm trying to figure out how to explain to complete strangers what I mean when I say that Cayla has had a rough couple weeks. Please don't compare it to your daughter who drags her feet in the morning or wants to sit in your lap during soccer practice. And, not everyone makes assumptions, "What do you mean by rough?" a woman in my yoga class casually asked me the other day. I was in the middle of apologizing to my neighbor why we missed her party last weekend and told her that Cayla has had a rough couple of weeks.

I also want to write about sick kids. I'm sure I'm going to stir up bad karma somewhere by saying that I kind of like it when my kids are sick. I love the way our lives slow down and the kids spend all day in their pjs reading books. I push aside everything I need to do (like writing papers and buying milk . . . .) to make popcorn and do puzzles with the kids.

Oh and on sick kids; it sort of puts life into perspective. Flannery took Collin to the ER last night because he woke up at 3am emitting a strange gutteral noise and puking up really, really thick mucus. He was coughing and choking and I was literally pulling never-ending strings of this stuff out of his mouth. He's fine now. It's assumed he has the flu. We spent a better part of today on the phone trying to get CVS to connect with the doctor to get him a RX of Thermaflu that they started him on in the ER. Apparently Medicaid needs to hand approve all Thermaflu liquid suspension requests. The caplets didn't come in the right dosage, which is good since he probably wouldn't have been able to swallow one anyway. File that little bit of information away now:) So, back to the perspective thing. When one's kid is sick, all the little details that bug me the rest of the time just melt away. I mean, who cares whether or not they have winter boots.

And, Collin's little bought with the flu last night is probably why I'm not really enjoying the fact that Cayla is over at her friend's house tonight. It's her first real sleepover. This is uncharted territory, people. She's slept over at her grandparent's house and our friends' houses, but never one of her friends from school. It came up suddenly. Her friend called at 5pm and asked her if she wanted to spend the night. Cayla said sure and hung up. Done deal (well, there was a little more discussion, but way too tedious to write). Now I had no problem sending my kids off to kindergarten, but man did I feel like poop as I drove away from her friend's house.

So, thank you folks. Although this blog's purpose what to keep everyone in the loop while we flew off to Boston for 2 years, it's probably more like cheap therapy for me. So, as a reward for reading my rambles, I leave you with this website. It should have made it onto my happy list. I love it and so should you! In fact, I think I'll give you my favorite videos as well. Cheers!




Slo-Mo Home Depot from ImprovEverywhere on Vimeo.

1 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Rachel said...

Hope Collin is better soon. Yucky and Scary!
Hope Cayla's sleepover far exceeded expectations (but only in a good way).
Hope the rough weeks are over.

Miss you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home