create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

We had our first sled of the season and it was wonderful.  Collin and Cayla flew down the hill on the mother of all sleds (x-mas present from Bacon and JoJo who spoil their niece and nephew rotten).  There was an added dimension to sledding this year in that I acted like an adult and did not sled (gasp!).  This in itself is not so unique - me not sledding.  But, what was new was that I didn't help the kids carry the sled back up the hill.  Wow.  Self-sufficient sledders.  That's a milestone for the baby book.


In other news, we had a big-old-meeting about Cayla at school, today.  It wasn't the cancelled big-old-meeting that was supposed to take place last Tuesday.  That was going to be an "Achievement Team Meeting" which was cancelled because that's a general ed process.  And, now that we've requested a comprehensive special education evaluation, we're on a different track.  Are you still with me?  Don't worry.  We barely are and we're in the thick of it.  Thank God for Julie, our friend who teaches Special Ed pre-school, and thinks nothing of listening to me blab nonstop until 10:30pm on a schoolnight while in the midst of doing respite foster care.  And, Katie, who knows a lot about therapists and advocates.  And, our neighbor who knows more about the RTI model than our school that uses it.

Anyway, yesterday afternoon I got an e-mail from the school social worker telling me that they were having a team meeting about Cayla today, and Flannery and I were welcome to come.  

OK.  
What team? 
What time is the meeting?  
Tomorrow?!?!? 

 So, since I sit around all day eating bon-bons and watching soap operas, I was able to make it to the 10:30am meeting (that I had been notified about via e-mail, less than 24 hours before, without a time . . . just saying).  And, really, it was a very fruitful meeting.  It was thrown together last minute because the district behavior specialist was going to be in the building for another meeting and luckily the social worker, Cayla's teacher, the school teacher consultant, the school OT, the school speech and language pathologist, and the principal all had an open schedule at 10:30.  Unfortunately the school psychologist couldn't make it because she was in another meeting:)  

Are you still there?  

So, it's a good thing I was there.  We talked about Cayla's meltdowns from a behavioral perspective.  The behavioral specialist is going to observe her for a day and see if she can find any triggers.  Everyone had tons on suggestions for her teacher on how to modify the curriculum.  And, they asked me many questions about Cayla's behavior and abilities at home.  So, we shall see, we shall see.  The next big meeting is in mid-Jan, so stay tuned.

7 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow! good thing you checked your email! I occasionally go more than 24 hours without checking mine. That's totally crazy. I'll keep my fingers crossed on this end. Give Cayla a hug from us...and Collin too!

Sledding???!! We have no snow. I guess I should be grateful. Especially since we don't have a sled!

 
At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds so overwhelming! I don't even know what to say, I am sure it must be hard but Cayla is in good hands with you all as parents.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Damon + Maryam said...

I know how it is, but it's wonderful that Cayla will be getting the help she needs.

 
At 7:50 PM, Blogger Damon + Maryam said...

I know how it is, but it's wonderful that Cayla will be getting the help she needs.

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hang in there. There is more and more in place to make sure that kids are in the least restrictive situations BUT it also seems to delay the help needed (IMO). Good luck and hugs to all. And yes, we will call and come sledding soon. -T

 
At 10:04 AM, Blogger Lily's Mama said...

Are they doing a psych eval??? Is she considered on Tier 2 or what? Is the behavioral specialist doing a FBA and BIP? I know - a ton of questions - but it sounds like they're trying to do right by Cayla. Not letting you know about the meeting until the day before is absolutely ridiculous, but it sounds like they're trying... Let me know if I can help at all:)

Your friend - the school psychologist :) (who incidentally is only doing preschool through 1st grade psych evals this year:)

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Lily's Mama said...

Also - do you know the background of the "behavioral specialist"? It's kind of a loose term - sometimes they're former school psychs and sometimes they're not. But it helps to know what kind of background/perspective they have when looking at behavior. The one at Lily's school is a former speech path, which doesn't make a lot of sense if you ask me... Just curious...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home