create your own personalized map of the USA Life under Cayla, Collin, Greta, and a Person Who Takes Nutrition Classes: Pronouns and other words

Monday, May 15, 2006

Pronouns and other words

It's a mystery to me how anyone ever learns the English language (or any, for that matter!). Cayla and Collin are talking up a storm, and it's quite amusing. Flannery's favorite is when Collin doesn't want to do something and lets us know with, "I can't want that . . . ".

"NO! I can't want to eat that egg!"

"NO! I can't want to go to the bathroom!"

At first we would "correct it" by saying something like, "OK, you don't have to eat the egg" or, "Did you mean you don't want to eat the egg?" However, now I feel that I (we) inadvertently just respond, "You can't want to eat it?!?!?" or just crack up.

But, my favorite is the pronoun usage. Cayla will look at a photo of me (Erica) and say, "That's me!". I laugh and say, "No, that's ME! So, you should say, 'That's you', not 'That's me', because that is Mama, not Cayla." Right. By this time Cayla has wandered far away as I continue to figure out what I'm trying to say. We figure they will get the I/me/you/etc. thing by 3rd grade or so . . . .

1 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, language learning is a strange thing. I've started using German grammar in my English, and speak the same way that many of the Germans around me speak.
-Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home